Enterprise

Sophie Unwin is the Social Entrepreneur of the Year 2016

Edinburgh based social entrepreneur of Remade in Edinburgh was presented with the £10,000 grant at a ceremony in London.

The close-run competition saw almost 14,000 public votes for the five finalists from the 2015/2016 cohort of the Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland Social Entrepreneurs programme, in partnership with School for Social Entrepreneurs. Sophie Unwin is the founder of Remade in Edinburgh, a social enterprise which teaches people how to repair household goods (computers, furniture and textiles), runs repair and upcycling workshops, sells affordable refurbished goods and campaigns for zero waste. 

Sophie said: “I am delighted to win the Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award. The £10,000 prize will help us to share our business model with other communities across the UK and could create thousands of jobs. Having the support of the Social Entrepreneurs Programme and my Lloyds Banking Group mentor this past year, and being able to learn from a fantastic team and fellow social entrepreneurs, has been a greatly rewarding experience and has been extremely valuable for my own personal development and for Remade in Edinburgh.” 

Paula Rogers, Head of the Social Entrepreneurs Programme at Lloyds Banking Group said: “Sophie is very deserving winner of the Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland Social Entrepreneurs of the Year Award 2016 and I offer my personal congratulations to her. This year’s finalists have made remarkable progress with the support of the Social Entrepreneurs Programme, which sits right at the heart of our commitment to helping Britain prosper and I am excited to see their projects continue to flourish and bring long-lasting benefit to their communities”. 

Alastair Wilson, CEO of School for Social Entrepreneurs said: “It has been fantastic to see the progress of Remade in Edinburgh over the past year and I am thrilled that she has been named the Lloyds Bank and Bank of Scotland Social Entrepreneur of the Year. I have witnessed her project grow into a successful and sustainable enterprise and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Sophie”.   

Related Articles

Find out more about